The Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management Education was formerly the Home Economics unit of the Department of Vocational Teacher Education that was established in 1964. She became a full fledged Department in 2015 as one of the six Departments created at the establishment of the Faculty of Vocational and Technical Education in University of Nigeria, Nsukka. The Hospitality component of the Department came into being in 2015 . This Department has trained competent and vocationally skilled teachers that work in different areas of work in Nigeria.
The Department as a unit of the then Department of Vocational Education has collaborated fully with the Faculty of Education in affiliating most of her programmes with other tertiary institutions in Nigeria . Some of the affiliate institutions where Home Economics is studied are:
- The Department of Technical Education, Yaba College of Technology, Yaba.
- School of Vocational Technical Education at the college of Education Ikere –Ekiti in Ekiti State
- School of Vocational Technical Education, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education Owerri.
- Federal College of Education Technical Omoku and
- School of Vocational Technical Education Nwafor Orizu College of Education Nsugbe.